Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pix 104 - The hit heard round the world

Picture it: Long Island, May, 2000.
Game 7 Eastern Conference Finals.

The Devils were down 3-1 and battled back to force a game 7. Wouldn't you know it, I also had a softball game to play that night?

I watched half of the first period before going to the game. If I remember correctly The Devils had an early lead then THE HIT happened. Eric Lindros was came skating into the Devils zone with his head down. Not usually a good move. When Scott Stevens is on the ice, it's NEVER a good move.

When I had to leave for the game Lindros was still down. I recorded the end of the game and headed out. I don't remember how we did in softball, but I was on complete media blackout. No FM or AM radio. I wouldn't let anyone at the game listen to it either.

I drove home as soon as we finished to watch the end of the game. I remember fast forwarding through all the commercials and intermissions. It's very nerve racking without that commercial downtime. I think with about 2:30 left in the 3rd period Patrick Elias scored the game winning goal.

The next day I purchased tickets to the Stanley Cup finals. They won the cup, but sadly it was on the road. No biggie, I was at game 7 in 2003 to watch them win another cup. Tonight the Devils will begin the quest towards another cup. After last seasons ridiculous collapse, they are hungry. Can't wait til the game starts tonight. Let's Go Devils.

If you aren't pumped, take a look at this video. It should get you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment